Six talented high school students from District 6900 were
selected to receive the Rotary Youth Exchange scholarship, valued at over
$24,000. Each student will spend the
next six months preparing to study for a Rotary year abroad, living with local
host families and attending high school, while participating in Interact and
their local host Rotary club meetings.District Governor, Alec Smythe, and District Governor Elect, Court
Dowis, joined Rotary Club Presidents, Presidents Elect, Youth Exchange
Officers, local school officials, community leaders, and the students and their
families for The Big Reveal event to award the scholarships. District 6900 Rotary Youth Exchange Chairman,
Mike Parks called each scholarship recipient to the stage and invited the
student to pop a helium balloon with his or her name on it. Inside the balloon the students discovered
the name of the country to which they have been assigned for their Rotary Youth
Exchange experience in the 2018-2019 school year.
This year’s class of Rotary Youth Exchange students from
District 6900 includes:
- ·Sophia Gomez, from Chattahoochee High School, sponsored by the Rotary Club of Alpharetta, will spend her year in Argentina
- ·Kaya Groff, from Walton High School, sponsored by the Rotary Club of East Cobb, with spend her year in Bolivia.
- ·Jordan Milligan, from Mt. Bethel Christian Academy, sponsored by the Rotary Club of East Cobb, will spend her year in Denmark
- ·Emily O’Day, from Dunwoody High School, sponsored by the Rotary Club of Dunwoody, will spend her year in Brazil.
- ·J.C. Redmond, from Decatur High School, sponsored by the Rotary Club of Decatur, will spend his year in Italy.
- ·Zoe Stephens, from Decatur High School,
sponsored by the
Rotary Club of Decatur, will spend her year in Japan
All Rotary clubs in District 6900 are invited to participate
in the Rotary Youth Exchange scholarship program. There is no cost to a Rotary club to make the
$24,000.00 scholarship award to a student in their local community. Rotarians can learn more about the program
and the scholarships at